Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Last Men Standing

Last Men Standing
They had the remarkable luck to survive AIDS, and the brutal misfortune to live on.
By Erin Allday

I , like so many, lived through the beginning of the AIDS crisis.  It was a terrifying time for Gay men.  We often were told conflicting information about HIV/AIDS and really didn't know what was going on or how all this started.

I lost many friends to HIV/AIDS in the beginning.  One day you're out with friends enjoying yourself and the next week one of your friends is missing.  You begin to wonder what has happened and then you hear the devastating news; John passed away.  It shakes you to the core.

I am a survivor of this era.  I made some bad decisions when it came to safe sex, but I got tested and found that I was  HIV negative.  I changed my sexual life accordingly and made sure I would not become another statistic.  But, with that, there comes a certain sadness and loss for all those friends and lovers who didn't make it this far.  Here is an excellent view into that life and the survivors.
Last Man Standing


No comments:

Post a Comment